About Our Robots
At Robot-O-Mat we’re artists first and operations experts second. For you, that means that you get a 100% original piece of art, fabricated to the highest standards of quality, at a price that cannot be matched anywhere.
Our “robots” are handmade art objects. Some of them are purely sculptures, and others are functional items like lamps. All of them are designed by us, fabricated by us, and packed with quirky personality and retro coolness. We manufacture in limited edition production runs so we can maintain high quality and exclusivity. These robots make great gifts, and look great in kids’ rooms or offices.
As artists, we spend endless hours developing and perfecting each robot prototype before we approve him for production. Anybody can assemble a bunch of miscellaneous parts, but only a skilled artist can bring those parts to life. It comes down to details as small as the positioning of each finger, the bend of an elbow, or the spacing of eyes that brings personality to inanimate objects. We pain over these details. We ruin lots of parts trying to get it right. We go to bed many nights frustrated, and wake up many mornings with fresh ideas and renewed patience. We always get it eventually, and we will produce no robot until we think he’s perfect.
Once we have a robot designed, the sourcing challenge begins. We have to find reliable consistent suppliers of quality parts. It’s not always easy, as we sometimes need odd stuff. Occasionally we’ll just custom manufacture a component ourselves.
Fabrication is also critical. We streamline our designs and modify parts so the robots can be assembled consistently and cost-effectively. Our robots must be sturdy, safe, and attractive. It takes a significant investment in time to figure out how to make a robot quickly and inexpensively. Kind of paradoxical, isn’t it?
- All Robot-O-Mat robots are fabricated by hand in Ohio.
- All the components used to make our robots are purchased unused. We do not buy at garage sales and flea markets.
- All robot electrical components are UL Recognized Components for safety and durability.
- All pieces and parts can be replaced using basic household tools (no welding required).
- Our robots are all metal (typically stainless steel, steel, and aluminum).
- Our robots are professionally finished, and have no sharp or pointy edges.
- For all robot lights, we recommend using compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs. We think they look better in our robots, and they are safer as they do not give off as much heat as incandescent.
- We don’t recommend these robots for children under the age of 8